Saturday 28 July 2012

Ballyshannon - Strandhill

I was still quite tired tonight, seems by body enjoyed its rest day at Steve's but wanted more rest! We had 60km to do so I powered up on a good breakfast of cocopops, baguette, banana and tea before buying winegums. Cycling saviours. We pretty much followed the cycle route to Sligo which was lovely cycling! Nice quiet roads with not many cars, loudest thing was Timolo's singing and the dogs that liked to bark and run at us...not entirely enjoyable! The dogs that is, rather scary.

We got to Sligo and headed to Chain Driven Cycles where a nice guy tightened up my pedals, they're just old so keep clicking and clanking. I was worried they would fall off or something but hopefully they'll hold for the trip and I'll replace them later on. He pumped up my tyres and centered the back wheel, difficult to get it centered as its a bit too thick for my road bike. Anyway, good shop and awesome service, he took about 10 minutes and didn't charge me a thing.

After this we headed to Strandhill, about 10km out of Sligo for the campsite. He gave us a discount, so we only paid 12euro and pointed us to a dune which was sunken out the wind. Good job otherwise we wouldn't have been cooking! Great campsite and really friendly staff, right by the beach (hence the sanddune).






2 comments:

  1. mmmm. winegums and cycling. Do you ever find that if your helmet strap is done up too tight you cant open your mouth wide enough to give winegums the chewing they deserve. I prefer jelly babies for this reason. Less jaw work required

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is true but Roundtrees does some really yummy fruit gums that are hard to resist! Skittles are also good cycling sweets!

    ReplyDelete