Tuesday 5 June 2012

Planes, Meatballs and the Titanic


Well, when I woke up this morning what an awesome day! Blue skies and everything. Decided to go for a cycle with Timolo to Ikea and Decathlon to try find some decently priced cycling shorts! We've been buying lots of gear over the past few weeks trying to get everything sorted for the Alps and the cycle tour. 
The route we took is a 14mile round trip, definitely do-able if it involved a stop off for Ikea's Swedish Meatballs! Not entirely sure if meatballs are Swedish...these ones also contained pork and beef. Crazy stuff. 

                            

So we set off and it was a little cloudy but I figured I would be fine, it was only meant to rain in the Mournes 
I thought, that's why we hadn't gone climbing. Should have checked the forecast!! Had a nice stop at the new Titanic building which you can see in the pictures below, its pretty cool! So busy though! We explored the giftshop for postcards (and couldn't find any, surely a massive mistake!) and the toilets (I thought they would have something unique about them, maybe a boat for a toilet handle or something. No such luck.) before heading on to Decathlon!

Decathlon doesn't have a bike rack outside! They have benches, lampposts (which are toooo thick for my lock), lots of lights, benches but no bike racks. We cycled down to Ikea and found MASSIVE motorbike racks, at least that's what they looked like. Should have taken a photo. Ended up locking the bikes in a trolley stand! You'd think a shop that sells bikes would have a rack outside...very silly. Ended up buying bottle cages and cycling shorts though the girls ones are double the price of the mens...yet exactly the same...sexist Decathlon!!! 

We then ventured for a hard earned break to Ikea and took advantage of their cheap, possibly not the highest quality yet tasty meatballs. Perfect for budding cyclists. I quite liked that the meatballs were square and came with a 'gravy' that tasted a bit mushroomy! Timolo got his fix for the day when he watched a few planes take off, went mental when he couldn't identify one of them! Plane encyclopaedia I think not! I'm only messing, its nice to know he doesn't know everything though!

Finally, in the rain, blue skies gone, we headed home. I really should have bought mudguards. And worn a waterproof. And not worn shorts. But I did really enjoy cycling back in the rain, after the initial coldcoldcoldahhhwetback feeling I was attempting to splash cars and I cycled through puddles, I don't think they noticed. Made us think we need a different system for the tour though, if we get that wet and then have to camp it might be a bit miserable! Definitely going to wear waterproofs anyway!


Oh and Timolo has found his new favourite toy - a goldie chain that came with one of my dresses. Little bit OCD about it now just waiting until he goes to the shop and forgets he has it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment